Sunday, October 23, 2016

Shy Shiloh: Walkies!

Tales of a Shy Dog: We go on walks now!

We go on walks now!

Shiloh has been looking sad lately when my husband takes Waffles for their evening walk, and has even tried to follow them to the door a few times.

We've tried taking Shiloh with us before, but she always freezes halfway down the driveway and wants to run back inside. 

For the past month or so, I've been taking her out our back gate to the common area behind our house. There's a nice patch of land between our backyard and the street, a perfect practice area!

Sometimes Shiloh locks her legs and refuses to budge, but we've been slowly exploring the common area and she's becoming a little more comfortable.

Four days ago, Shiloh ran to the backdoor when my husband called Waffles for their walk. Decided to see how far we could get and was thrilled to see how excited Shiloh became when I grabbed her harness and leash!

Shiloh ran to the back gate, her body trembling with excitement, and practically pulled me off my feet when I opened the gate!

I'm not sure if it was because we were with Waffles or if Shiloh was just ready, but the four of us walked down the street like we've been doing it for years. Didn't want to go too far in case she had a panic attack and locked her legs, as she's too heavy to carry now.

The next day, we went a little farther.

Day three, a little farther.

Today, we walked the farthest yet!

And as icing on the cake, she didn't freak out when she saw another dog! Shiloh has started barking when she sees other dogs walk by, so wasn't sure how she would react when we saw another dog during our walk. She surprised me by just watching. 

Shiloh and I hung back as Waffles went over to say hello. She leaned against my leg as she watched, then tucked herself between my legs, but no freaking out or bolting. When Waffles came back, Shiloh sniffed her thoroughly. It was almost like Shiloh was asking her about the other dog!

Need to keep up the daily walks, as she really seems to enjoy them. I know that it won't always be smooth sailing and she might panic, but we'll deal with that if and when it happens.

So proud of my fearful, little sweetheart!


Previous Tales