Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tube-Free Scott Naturals Tissue

Tube-Free Scott Naturals Tissue

Each year, billions of toilet paper tubes end up in landfills. This unnecessary item -  the tube - accounts for millions of pounds of waste every single year. Over 17 billion toilet paper tubes are thrown away each year. That’s enough to fill the Empire State Building. Twice. (Scottbrand.com) 

Tube-Free Scott Naturals Tissue

After seeing the commercial where empty toilet paper tubes magically build a replica of the Empire State Building, I have to admit that I was curious about going tube-free! Would it be weird? Would I even notice? And what about all the gradeschool art teachers and their toilet paper tube craft projects? So when I heard that Crowdtap had a sample challenge for Scott Naturals, I couldn't sign up fast enough. And yay, I was chosen!

Tube-Free Scott Naturals Tissue

The first thing I noticed about the toilet tissue is that it's one-ply. If you're used to two-ply tissue, it is noticeable. I've used both and, while I normally buy two-ply, it's not a dealbreaker for me. Otherwise, there's really no other differences until you reach the end of the roll. That's when I noticed the lack of a tube, as the roll became a little....soft? Mushy? Noticeably lacking support? The tissue doesn't fall off the holder, but you can definitely tell that there's no tube support. 

Since empty toilet tubes are recyclable and/or reusable (check out Pinterest!), I don't think that this is as big of a deal as I originally thought. Granted, most people probably don't think to throw their empty tubes into the recycling bin so guess this would be good for them. As for me, it's not worth the extra money to go tube-free.

Have you tried Scott's tube-free toilet tissue? What did you think?