Saturday, November 1, 2014

My TKR: To sleep, perchance to dream

TKR souvenirs
TKR souvenirs

I miss sleep.

Oddly enough, the last time I slept well was the night of my surgery. That was probably because they knocked me out with morphine, but it was still my last full night's sleep.

When I came home from the hospital, I moved into the guest bedroom because a) it was closer to a bathroom, b) the bed was easier to get in and out of, and c) I didn't want to keep my husband awake all night.

Despite having four extra pillows to work with, I could not find a comfortable position and found myself tossing and turning all night. No matter what configuration I tried, I just could not find a good position. Logically I know that I did get some sleep because I never fell asleep during the day, but it felt like I was awake all night. I also developed humongous bags under my eyes. Lovely.

My physical therapist assured me that this was normal and that I'd start sleeping better at the four week mark. Online research confirmed the magic four week timeframe, but no one could say why.

Much to my surprise, I did start sleeping better once I hit four weeks. Granted, it was only for an hour or two at a time, but it felt great! I was thrilled when I started getting solid two hour blocks of sleep!

Sleep has gradually gotten better, sometimes hitting four hours at a time! I'm still waking up in the middle of the night at least once, but at least I'm not waking up at 5am anymore! And sometimes I even manage to go back to sleep and not wake up until eight, which is awesome!

Can't wait until I can finally sleep through the night. And I'd love to stop waking up before dawn, as I'm totally not a morning person!